POTZO BALL SOUP
Updated: Jan 28
A great recipe for both Shabbat or the sabbath as well as passover. At your next holiday or shabbat meal try this contemporary twist on an old favorite. This is not your mama’s matzo ball soup—but with the added THC and CBD, I’m sure she’ll keel with sheer delight. Tasty medicated matzo balls? What’s not to love, bubby! Lets these "Pot"-Balls elevate your holiday experience.
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hour and 30 minutes
APPROXIMATE THC PER SERVING*: 10%: 3.8 mg
15%: 5.7 mg
20%: 7.6 mg
FOR THE BROTH
10 cups water
1 whole chicken, cut into eighths
1 beef bone (optional, for a heartier soup)
1 cup carrots, in rounds (reserve. cup)
1 cup celery, sliced (reserve. cup)
1 celery root, whole or halved to fit in pot
1 cup parsnip, cubed (reserve. cup)
1cup turnip, in rounds (reserve . cup)
1 medium Spanish onion, diced
4 sprigs fresh dill (reserve 1 sprig)
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
3 to 5 whole cloves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
FOR THE POTZO BALLS
1 cup matzo meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon canna–olive oil plus 3 tablespoons light olive oil
4 tablespoons seltzer or soda water
1. Fill a large soup pot with 10 cups of water.
2. Place the chicken, beef bone (if using), carrots, celery, celery root, parsnip,
turnip, onion, and dill in a soup sock or wrap and tie in cheesecloth. Add bay leaf,
turmeric, peppercorns, cloves, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and
simmer for 1 hour.
3. Remove the chicken and set aside.
4. Remove the vegetables and discard.
MAKE THE POTZO BALLS
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the matzo meal, baking powder, salt, and Pepper
2. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, canna–olive oil mixture, and soda water.
3. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
4. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
1. Bring the soup to a boil. Using an ice cream scoop for uniformity, drop matzo balls into
the simmering soup. Add the reserved vegetables, reduce heat, and simmer for 30
2.10 Shred the chicken and place it into serving bowls. Add the broth and potzo balls and
*Approximate dose per serving is based on infusing 5 grams of cured/dried/decarbed cannabis into 5
ounces of oil. Refer To THC/CBD CALCULATOR for determining approximate dosage of your cannabis.