Bialys are the Cinderella of the bagel world. Similar to a bagel, a Bialy is crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside and instead of a whole in the center, there is "well" filled with delicious sautéed onion and and finished with poppy seeds. Unlike bagels that are made with wheat flour and boiled before they are baked, bialys are made with high gluten bread flour, filled with sautéed onions and baked to a crispy crust.
FOR THE BIALYS
• 3 1/2 cups bread flour
• 1 TBSP kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp instant yeast
• 1 1/2 cups water
FOR THE FILLING:
• 2 TBSP olive oil or neutral oil
• Cannabis Infused MCT oil
• 1 small sweet onions, diced
• 1 small red onion, diced
• dash of kosher salt
• ¼ cup bread crumbs
• poppy seeds
1. Whisk the flour, salt and yeast together. Add the water. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined, then knead gently with your hands. Dough will be sticky.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for at least 12 hours. The dough should double in size.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
4. Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface. Sprinkle some flour on top and gently knead the dough until it is soft and pliable and no longer sticky. Add small amounts of flour to achieve this. Be careful not over-knead or over flour.
5. Portion the dough into 6 equal parts. Make rough round dough balls, set on the parchment paper and let rise again for 45 mins.
6. Preheat oven to 500°F
7. Make the onion mixture. Sauté onions in olive oil till translucent. Add breadcrumbs at end.
8. Press down and gently shape each dough ball into a 5” round. Make a well in the center of each using your thumb or the back of a floured spoon.
9. Fill the center of each bialy with a tablespoon of the onion mixture.
10. Lightly spray or brush the tops of the Bialys with a little water. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
9. Bake at 500°F for 9-11 mins until lightly browned.
10. Remove from oven and immediately dose each bialy individually with drops of *Infused MCT or Olive oil.
*Note: To figure out the potency per drop of your infused oil, download the free THC Calculator from the Apple App Store or Google Play store.